Bombay Potatoes (Aloo)
Member recipe by sweetunique
- 500g potatoes - Aloo
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- ÃÂ½ large onion - diced
- 2.5cm cube of fresh ginger - shredded (or 1 tsp ginger powder)
- 1 tsp chilli powder (optional)
- 1 tsp (white) cumin seeds - jeera
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp mango powder (optional)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp sesimi seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Scrub the potatoes well and cut to bite size (no need to peel). Place potatoes in a pan of salted boiling water and boil until cooked but still firm.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a frypan. Fry the cumin and mustard seeds until they start to pop, put to one side.
- Fry the ginger for about a minute, put to one side.
- Fry the onion until opaque not quite soft, then add the turmeric, mango powder, chili powder and cook together for 2 minutes. Combine the cumin, mustard seeds, sesimi seeds and cooked ginger with the spiced onion adding a little of the potato's salt water if needed to form a runny paste and add the garam masala.
- Add the potatoes to the fry pan mixture and stir gently until fully coated.
- Serve Bombay potato - Bombay aloo hot or cold.
- Calories in a portion (200g) of Bombay potatoes: 200kcal+