Tomato bread boxes
Member recipe by lisakilbey
ServingsServes 1 - 16
- 1 large day-old loaf white bread, unsliced
- 150g garlic butter, melted
- 2 punnets cheery tomatoes, halved
- 2 rashers bacon, chooped
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 100g mushrooms, diced
- barbecue seasoning, to taste
- olive oil
- flat leaf parsley, decoration
- Preheat the oven to 180c
- Remove the crusts from bread. Cut loaf into 4x5cm thick slices and cut each slice into quarters (4 boxes)
- Using a small serated knife cut a square cavity into the centre of each box, leaving a 1cm border around the edges and a little bread at the base. Brush all sides of bread boxes with garlic butter.
- Place on a baking tray, bake for 10-15 minutes, or until bread is golden and crisp.
- Meahwhile, fry the bacon and onion in a little olive oil, until the bacon is crisp. Add mushrooms and 1 punnet of tomatoes and fry until softened.
- Add zucchini fry another 1-2 minutes. Mix in BBQ seasoning.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the bread boxes and decorate with remaining punnet of tomatoes and parsley.
- Reheat 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Suitable to freeze, without decorations. Makes 16.