Apple crumble Ã la mummy
Member recipe by missnumzy
A brilliant recipe for a quick and easy dessert, perfected by experimentation.
- For the crumble
- 300g plain flour, sieved pinch of salt
- 175g unrefined brown sugar
- 200g unsalted butter (at room temperature and cut into cubes)
- Knob of butter for greasing
- For the filling
- 500g apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1cm/½in pieces
- 50g unrefined brown sugar
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- sultanas/raisins to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Place the flour and sugar in a large bowl and mix well. Taking a few cubes of butter at a time rub into the flour mixture. Keep rubbing until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Place the fruit in a large bowl and sprinkle over the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Stir well being careful not to break up the fruit.
- Butter a 24cm/9in ovenproof dish. Spoon the fruit mixture into the bottom, then sprinkle the crumble mixture on top.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until the crumble is browned and the fruit mixture bubbling.
- Serve with vanilla custard or ice-cream.