- 3 large black bananas
Probably the best known, most popular tropical fruit, their name probably derives from the…
- 75g vegetable oil or sunflower oil (weight), plus extra for greasing
- 100g brown sugar
- 225g plain flour (or use self-raising flour and reduce the baking powder to 2 heaped tsp)
- 3 heaped tsp baking powder
Baking powder is a raising agent that is commonly used in cake-making. It is made from an alkali…
- 3 tsp cinnamon or mixed spice
A fragrant spice which comes from the inner bark of a tropical tree. When dried, it curls into…
- 50g dried fruit or nuts (optional)
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Mash the peeled bananas with a fork, then mix well with the oil and sugar. Add the flour, baking powder and cinnamon, and combine well. Add the dried fruit or nuts, if using.
Bake in a greased, lined 2lb loaf tin for 20 minutes. Check and cover with foil if the cake is browning. Bake for another 20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
Allow to cool a little before slicing. It's delicious freshly baked, but develops a lovely gooey quality the day after.