Red Lentil & Butter Bean Soup
Member recipe by dhoohar
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion (chopped)
- 1 red chilli (chopped, seeds removed
- 1 red pepper (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 150g red split lentils
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 Litre of vegetable stock
- 1 x 400g can butter beans
- Fresh coriander (chopped)
- Fat-free Greek yoghurt
- Salt and pepper
- Toast the cumin and fennel seeds by dry frying them in a large heavy based pan until they darken slightly and release their aroma, but do not burn. Set aside some of the seeds for garnishing later. Leave the rest in the pan.
- Add the oil followed by the onion, pepper, chilli and garlic. Cook on a medium to low heat until softened but not browned (approx. 5 mins).
- Add the lentils, tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil then simmer for about 15 minutes until the lentils are cooked.
- Remove from the heat and puree either with a stick blender or cool a little and transfer in safe quantities to a liquidiser. Whizz until smooth and return to the pan.
- Add the drained butter beans to the pan and heat gently.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and ladle into bowls.
- Garnish each with a spoonful of yoghurt, some fresh chopped coriander and a sprinkling of the toasted seeds. Serve with some crusty bread rolls.