Carrot and coriander soup
Member recipe by davidnunn1
This is a heartier, thicker and spicier version of the classic soup.
- 700g carrots, diced
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 small red chillies, finely chopped
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp dried coriander
- 1/2 tsp dried cumin
- 150g red lentils, washed
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- handful of chopped fresh coriander
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fry onion, garlic, chillies and dried cumin/coriander in a large saucepan until onions are soft.
- Add diced carrots and cook for three minutes.
- Add red lentils and stir well for a minute, or until mixture begins to stick to the pan.
- Add stock and stir well. Cover, bring to boil, then simmer for 30 minutes over a low heat until all ingredients are soft and the lentils have turned mushy. Stir occasionally.
- Whizz with a hand blender until smooth and thick. Add chopped fresh coriander, and whizz briefly to keep green specks. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- If desired (and not really needed), add a dollop of soured cream, creme fraiche, greek yoghurt or anything else just prior to serving. Decorate with a coriander leaf.