Lauren's Moist Muffins
Member recipe by laurenmckellar
ServingsServes 1 - 22 Muffins
- For the cakes:
- 290g caster sugar
- 110-135g butter
- 225-250g self raising flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 large egg or 3-4tbsp egg whites
- 90ml vegetable Oil
- 1tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract/essence
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 100ml milk
- 25ml water
- For the icing:
- 300-400g butter, preferably unsalted
- 600-800g icing sugar (ratio of 2:1 icing sugar:butter)
- few drops of food colouring (2:1 red:blue)
- 1tsp milk
- Edible glitter decoration, shimmer spray, or any other toppings.
- Cream the butter (except 25g) and sugar until smooth.
- Sift in the self raising flour(except 25g), cocoa powder, and bicarb. of soda. Fold in from edge to edge.
- Create 3 seperate wells in the mixture, adding the vinegar to one, vegetable oil to the other, and vanilla extract to the third. Whisk in, with a hand or electric whisk.
- Whisk in the eggs, milk and water. If it looks too watery, whisk in the remaining 25g of flour and 25g butter.
- Put a tbsp of mix into each muffin case. Cook in the oven for about 18-23mins on Gas mark 4/180 celcius / 350 fahrenheit, top shelf.
- When you have checked the cakes are cooked through, put them on a cooling rack for 15 mins. Meanwhile.....
- Make the icing by sifting the icing sugar into the butter at a ratio of 2:1 icing sugar:butter. How much you use depends on how heavily iced you want the cakes to be. Stir in the milk and food colouring (the colours I have given will make purple, but use whichever ones you want.) Spread or pipe the icing onto the cakes, then decorate and serve.