Brisket Beef pot roast
Member recipe by margaretpbrown
- 2 kilos piece brisket beef (can be larger or smaller to fit pot)
- 2 Oxo cubes
- Boiling water
- Salt and pepper
- (Vegetables like onions/leeks/celery etc. can be added if desired)
- Brown of all sides of joint in a frying pan to seal. (this is the correct way but I often don't bother and it is still delicious)
- Place in deep roasting pot/casserole dish.
- Season well with salt and pepper and sprinkle crushed Oxo cubes over joint.
- Pour boiling water over joint so that it measures about 3/4 of an inch deep. I put the end of a dry wooden spoon into the water (like a dip-stick) to measure how much water is in pot.
- Add vegetables if required.
- Place tight lid on pot (or cover tightly with foil).
- Place in oven and cook for 30 minutes at 200 degrees celsius (9 gas).
- Turn oven down to 170 degrees (3 gas) and continue cooking for 2 1/2 hours.
- Rest for at least 20mins before carving