Prune and brandy creme brulee
Member recipe by dykerdog
- 150g pitted soft prunes
- 150 ml orange juice
- 4 tablespoons brandy
- 600ml double cream
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthwise
- 4 large free-range egg yolks
- 100g caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 150C. Cook prunes in a small pan with the orange juice for 6-8 mins to soften, remove stones and puree in food processor.
- Divide into 6 ramekins in a roasting tin
- Pour the cream into a medium pan, scrape in the vanilla seeds and add the pod as well. Heat for 10 mins, without boiling, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar and strain into the warm cream. Remove vanilla pod and pour into the ramekins
- Pour boiling water into the roasting tin half-way up the ramekins and bake for 30 mins until the custard is just set but still wobbly. It will split if overcooked. Allow ramekins to cool, then chill in fridge overnight.
- An hour before serving, sprinkle with remaining sugar and place under a very hot grill or use a chef's blow-torch to caramelise the sugar. Refrigerate, then serve.