Curried Persimon Soup
Member recipe by ashleigh_red
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1kg pumpkin or squash, peeled, deseeded & chopped into chunks
- 2 persimons, peeled & chopped into chunks
- 700ml vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 170ml double cream
- 2 tsps. curry powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Handful chopped coriander and dollop of crème fraîche to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, then gently cook the onions for 5 minutes, until soft but not coloured. Add the pumpkin or squash to the pan, and carry on cooking for 8-10 minutes with the lid on, stirring occasionally until it starts to soften and turn golden.
- Add the persimon, replace the lid and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the stock into the pan, turn up the heat and bring to the boil, and then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes until the pumpkin is very soft. Pour the cream into the pan, add the curry powder, season and bring back to the boil. Remove from the heat and purée with a hand blender. For an extra-velvety consistency you can now push the soup through a fine sieve into another pan.
- Serve piping hot with crusty bread, a dollop of crème fraîche and sprinkling of chopped coriander.