Coconut and Cherry Cookies
Member recipe by qas5saq
ServingsServes 1 - 16 Biscuits
- 60g (2oz) butter, softened
- 125g (4oz) caster sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 75g (2 1/2oz) desiccated coconut
- 150g (5oz) plain flour
- 8 glace cherries, halved
- Line baking sheets with non-stick liner or baking parchment
- Set the oven to gas mark 4 or 180C
- Tip the butter and sugar into a bowl and beat them together until smooth.
- Add the beaten egg.
- Add the coconut to the creamed mixture and then the flour.
- Mix all the ingredients together to give a smooth, firmish dough.
- Divide the dough into 16 pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Flatten the balls to about 4-5cm (1 1/2-2in) in diameter and place them on the lined baking sheets. The cookies spread slightly during cooking, so don't place them too close together. Press half a glace cherry on top of each biscuit.
- Bake the biscuits in the centre of the oven for 15 mins (13 mins in a fan oven) or until they are a light-golden colour.
- Remove the baking sheet(s) from the oven and leave the biscuits to cool for a few minutes, and then slide them on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Storage and freezing tips: The biscuits may be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days. They can also be packed in a freezer container and frozen for up to 1 month. Allow the biscuits to defrost, and then warm them through in a hot oven to refresh them before serving.