Sweet potato and carrot quiche
Member recipe by iloveolives
Serves 2-3 people and is as low as 300-400 calories. A sweet heaven at a low price. Carrot base with a potato and cheese filling. Enjoy my recipe :).
- 100g Plain flour
- Half a carrot
- 1 small sweet potato
- A small handful of grated cheese
- 200g Butter
- 1 egg
- 50-100ml Soya milk (or any milk)
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 leek
- Basil, Pepper, Sweetener, salt, coriander.
- Pre-Heat your oven to Gas Mark 4. In a bowl place your flour and butter and mix with your hands until you have a bread crumb type texture. Grate a quarter of your carrot into the bowl and mix with the flour. Add a couple of drops of water and mold into a dough.
- Sprinkle some flour onto a clean surface and and with floured hands flatten your dough with a rolling pin. You will need a small baking tin, around 6"-9". Greece it with butter then line it with your dough. Making sure there are no cracks and the dough is firm inside your tine. Should be very thin. Place some baking paper on top with a handful of rice. Then place your base in the oven for 20 minutes.
- While the pastry is baking Chop up your sweet potato and carrot into small squares. Then finely chop your 1/2 onion and 1/2 leek into tiny pieces. Place your potatoes and carrots into a sauce pan and allow to boil for 10 minutes. Fry the leek and onions together for no more than 5 minutes in a frying pan with a dash of olive oil.
- In a small bowl crack open and whisk your egg. When your pastry has baked take it out of the oven and coat on a little bit of the egg with a food brush all over. Then place the pastry back in the oven for a further 5 minutes. Then with the remaining egg add your milk and season it (I have some seasoning suggestions in my ingredients list). Mix well. Add a sprinkle of cheese and flour and mix again.
- Drain your potatoes and carrots and add your leak and onion and give it a little mix. Your pastry would have been done by now. So, take it out the oven and add the potato, carrot, leek and onion filling evenly. Then pour your egg and milk mixture on top. Do not let this over fill over the pastry edges. Then sprinkle your cheese on top.
- Put it back in the oven for a further 30-40 minutes. Or until the egg mixture has set.
- You have a delicious Quiche.
- Great served with salad. A good homemade dressing is corriander and lemon juice. Enjoy :)
- If serving for 3 people - it has no more than 350-400 calories per person.