Member recipe by ravi311
- Basmati rice 2 cups
- Almonds 7 pcs (remove skin by soaking in warm water, slice into thin slices diagonally)
- Large California raisins 5 pcs (sliced diagonally)
- Fresh tumeric 0.5cm (ground into paste)
- Butter 2 tablespoon
- Olive oil 2 tablespoon
- Cardamom 3 pcs
- Shallot 5 pcs (sliced)
- Fennel powder 1 teaspoon
- 3 cups of water
- Pandan leaves (pandanus odorus i.e. screwpine leave) 3 pieces (remove both ends and cut into short pieces)
- Rinse Basmati rice and drain well. Heat butter and oil in a large pan. Add cardamom and shallots. Fry till shallots are mild brown.
- Add sliced almond and fry till shallots turn dark brown. By this time the almonds would have turned mild brown too. Add sliced raisins and stir.
- Immediately add rice, fennel powder and tumeric paste. Stir until mixture is evenly spread into rice. Add salt (2 teaspoon) and sugar (1 teaspoon).
- Continue with low heat stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes. Move entire contents into a rice cooker. Add the water (3 cups) and allow to soak for 15-20 minutes.
- Cook rice in the cooker. Once rice is cooked, stir pandan leaves into rice and close. Allow to keep warm for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with curry.