Chocolate Peppermint Crackles
Member recipe by jordangenevieve
ServingsServes 1 - 48 Cookies
The fresh peppermint coating keeps the cookies from being too rich!
- 1/2 cup hard white peppermint candies (Mint Imperials, for example)
- 200g dark chocolate (70%), chopped
- 80g butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or flavouring
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup cocoa, sifted
- 2 tsp baking powder, sifted
- 1/3 cup milk
- Place the peppermints in a food processor and process to a fine powder. Set aside.
- Place the chocolate in a bowl above simmering water and stir until melted and smooth. Set aside and allow to cool slightly.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until well combined. Gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition, and vanilla and beat until pale and creamy. Add the chocolate and beat until well combined. Add the flour, cocoa, baking powder and milk and beat until a smooth dough forms. Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Roll 1 tsp of dough into a ball and toss in peppermint powder to coat. Place on baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper, leaving room to spread. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the surfaces crack.
- Make sure to allow the cookies to cool on their trays to ensure crispiness. Keep sealed in air-tight containers.