Member recipe by padwan88
ServingsServes 1 - 8 Bagels
Enjoy the bagel on its own, toasted with butter, or as a savory meal with cheese spreads and smoked salmon :)
- 250g whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1tsp sugar
- 1tsp ground pepper (for an added spicy flavor)
- 1 free range egg - beaten
- 150ml luke-warm water
- vegetable oil - Greasing
- Peanuts - roughly chopped
- raisans - roughtly chopped
- pan of water- simmering
- 1tbsp of cinnamon powder
- Mix flour, yeast, salt, sugar and pepper together. Make a well in the middle of the mixture, and gradually poor in the water to form a soft dough. Lightly knead the dough and leave to prove, around an hour.
- Once doubled in size, knead lightly and divide the dough into 8 small portions. Shape the bagels by using the end of a wooden spoon to make the hole in the middle. One trick, place the spoon through the hole, (so the bagel is positioned on the handle) and carefully swing the bagel around so the hole appears.
- Leave to prove again, 30-40mins.
- Preheat oven 230C. Bring a pan of water to the boil. Add the cinnamon to give the water some flavor.Once boiling turn the heat down to a simmer. Poach each bagel for 2-3mins, drain carefully, and transfer to the plate of roughly chopped peanuts and raisans. Coat each bagel in the mixture before placing them on a greased baking tray.
- Place bagels in the preheated oven, and bake for 10-12minutes. Once brown and when tapped sounds hollow, remove bagels carefully off the baking tray and onto a wire rack to cool.
- Tip: sprinkle the bagels once poached with sugar to give them that extra sweetness, and leave out the pepper to the dough for a dessert bagel.