Italian Fish Pie
Member recipe by pensky
Perfect one-dish meal. Just needs a green salad as an accompaniment.
- Heat oven to 200 deg C or Gas mark 7
- 4 thick white fish fillets ie cod, haddock, halibut
- a little olive oil
- 1 350g jar of good puttanesca sauce or better still, make your own
- 200g bag of washed baby spinach
- 500g new potatoes
- melted butter
- salt and pepper
- Put the potatoes in cold water with 2 dessert spoons of salt. Bring to the boil, add a little knob of butter which stops the potatoes from breaking out of their skins, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. They should still be a little firm. Leave them to cool.
- Lightly oil an oven-proof dish big enough to hold the fish snugly. Add the fish pieces and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Pour over the sauce which should completely cover the fish. Press the spinach on top. If there are any long, coarse stalks on the spinach remove them first. Season lightly with salt and pepper and a little grated nutmeg if desired.
- When the potatoes are cool slice them in 5mm slices and lay them on top of the spinach so that they overlap. Try not to leave any gaps.
- Brush the potatoes with melted butter and give it a few grinds of black pepper before placing in the oven. Bake for around 30 mins. The top should be golden brown and starting to crisp at the edges. Serve with a green salad.