Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks
Member recipe by jordangenevieve
- 1 cup cake flour
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 60ml dried oregano
- 4 lamb shanks
- 50ml butter
- 80ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 6 bay leaves
- In a shallow dish, combine the flour, salt, pepper and oregano. Toss the shanks through the mixture to coat and shake off any excess.
- Heat the butter and oil in a roasting pan on the stove and cook the shanks until well browned on both sides. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute the onion and garlic for a few minutes. Add the tomatoes and season well. Add the shanks, rosemary and bay leaves and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and cook until the shanks are tender and the sauce is thick, about 2 hours.