Member recipe by mitrajam
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 10 pieces (wings reserved for another use)
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- coarse salt and groud pepper
- 6 slices whole wheat bread
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Remove skin from chicken. In a large bowl, toss chicken with buttermilk, garlic, 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Marinate at room temperature 30 minutes (refrigerate for up to 6 hours.
- Preheat oven 425 . In a food processor, pulse bread until coarse crumbs form. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and toss with oil.
- Bake crumbs crumbs until golden brown, 8 to 12 minutes, tossing twice. Transfer to large bowl.
- Set a wire rack over the sheet. Working with one piece of at a time lift chicken from buttermilk mixture.
- letting excess drip off and dredge in breadcrumbs pressing firmly to adhere. Transfer chicken to rack.
- Bake, without turning, until cooked through, 30 to 40 minutes, tenting with foil if browning too quickly.