Member recipe by laugh_producer
- 4 tbsp ghee or cooking oil
- 8oz (226g) finely diced onion
- 2 green cardamon pods
- 1/4 tsp black mustard seeds
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon bark
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1lb (453g) skinless chicken breast cut into 1inch pieces
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 6 floz (170 ml) cold water
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Put a large pan on a medium low heat and add ghee, chopped onions, cardamom, mustard seeds, cloves, cinnamon and cumin seeds. Cook on a low heat, stirring occasionally until the onions have turned a golden colour and have reduced. The onions must not fry but cook down very slowly as this method ensures the flavour and correct consistency of the final sauce. It can take up to 20-30 mins for the onions to cook correctly.
- Add the chicken, tomato puree, sugar, salt, tumeric and chili powder to the pan and stir.
- Cook over a medium low heat for about 10 mins or until all the chicken is sealed and coloured.
- Add the water, cover the pan and simmer gently for 35 minutes.
- To finish sprinkle with garam masala and lemon juice and serve with rice or bread.