Orange and Raisin Scones
Member recipe by charleymelon
ServingsServes 1 - 9 Cakes
- 375g (12 oz) self-raising flour
- 50g (2 oz) butter, diced
- 50g (2 oz) caster sugar
- 75g (3 oz) raisins
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- 1 egg, beaten
- 150-200ml (5-7 fl oz) semi-skimmed milk
- Put the flour in a mixing bowl or a food processor. Add the butter and rub in with your fingertips or process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar, raisins and orange rind.
- Add all but 1 tablespoon of the egg then gradually mix in enough of the milk to mix to a soft but not sticky dough.
- Knead lightly then roll out on a lightly floured surface until 1.5cm (3/4 inch) thick. Stamp out circles using a plain round biscuit cutter.
- Transfer to a lightly greased baking sheet. Reknead the trimmings and continue rolling and stamping out until you have made 9 scones.
- Brush the tops with the reserved egg and bake in a preheated oven, 200C (400F), Gas Mark 6, for 10-12 minutes until well risen and the tops are golden. Leave to cool on the baking sheet.