Rolling out pastry
How to roll out your pastry so it fits into a round, fluted tin.
Points to remember
- Sprinkle the work surface with flour. Put pastry on it and sprinkle with flour again.
- Take the rolling pin and press down on the pastry to making little grooves and turning 90 degrees every so often.
- Once the pastry has expanded to about twice its size, start rolling.
- Place the rolling pin at the far end of the pastry and flip it over the rolling pin.
- Put the pastry into the tin, topside down. Once the pastry is gently laid over, push it into the tin with your hands. Use a small ball of the excess pastry to help push the pastry into the corners.
- If the pastry starts to go soft, slide it onto a baking sheet and put it back into the fridge for a few minutes to firm up.
- If the pasty is a bit dry, put the pastry back into the food processor, add a splash of water and mix it up quickly.