Spatchcocking a chicken
How to spatchcock a chicken for grilling or barbecuing.
Points to remember
- Place chicken breast-side down, with the tail towards you.
- Using sturdy scissors or poultry shears, cut up along each side of the backbone to remove it, cutting through the rib bones as you go.
- Open the chicken out and turn over. Flatten the breastbone with the heel of your hand so that the meat is all one thickness.
- Use two skewers to secure the legs, by running them through the thigh and then diagonally through the breast and wing.
- Griddle or grill for 15-20 mins per side or roast for 40 minutes (depending on size of bird).
- Always wash hands and equipment thoroughly after handling raw chicken to avoid contaminating surfaces and food.
- Always ensure meat is cooked all the way through the chicken.