Points to remember
- Place chicken breast-side down, with the legs towards you.
- Using sturdy scissors or poultry shears, cut up along each side of the parson's nose and backbone to remove it, cutting through the rib bones as you go.
- Open the chicken out and turn over. Flatten the breastbone with the heel of your hand so that the meat is all one thickness.
- Use two skewers to secure the legs and keep the bird flat. Run the skewers diagonally through the breast and thigh meat.
- Griddle, grill or barbecue for 15-20 mins per side or roast for 40 mins (depending on size of bird).
SPATCHCOCKING A CHICKENAlways wash hands and equipment thoroughly after handling raw chicken to avoid contaminating surfaces and food.
SPATCHCOCKING A CHICKENEnsure the meat is cooked all the way through the chicken - you can test by poking in a skewer in the thickest part to see if the juices run clear.