Points to remember
- Hold the squash steady on your chopping board and use a sharp knife to trim off the top and bottom.
- Next split the squash in half at the point where the long “neck” section meets the round base section.
- If you want to remove the skin you can either use a Y shaped or swivel blade vegetable peeler or a knife.
- Once the skin has been removed cut the base section in half to expose the seeds and scoop them out using a spoon.
- You can now slice the prepared butternut squash into wedges, chunks or small cubes, depending on your recipe.
Soften the skin
The skin on the butternut squash is very tough so if you prefer you can pop it in the microwave before you start preparing it for 2-3 mins to make it softer and easier to remove.
Take things slowly
However, if you’re slow roasting the squash you can leave the skin on as it is edible and gets softer when baked.
Stop it from sliding
Put a tea towel under your chopping board to stop it from sliding around.