Points to remember
- Fry the onions, garlic (and any vegetables that need softening) in a little oil.
- Add risotto rice – such as arborio,carnaroli or vialone nano – and fry until translucent.
- Add wine if using, stirring continuously until absorbed.
- Add a ladleful of hot stock, cook over a medium heat and keep stirring until all the stock is absorbed.
- Repeat this until all the stock has been used, the rice no longer has a chalky core and the risotto is thick and glossy.
- Add any final ingredients such as butter and cheese. You can leave the risotto to sit for a few minutes so that all the flavours and liquid absorb and settle.
- Stir through the fresh herbs before serving.
Keep stirring – this helps the starch ooze out of the rice and gives risotto its creamy texture.
Try not too add too much stock at once – you’ll find it takes even longer for the rice to absorb it and the risotto won’t achieve the same consistency.