How to make flapjacks
Try our app for ad-free recipe inspiration – download now
Two terrific flapjack recipes demonstrated by Miriam Nice, make the most of your oats.
Points to remember:
- To make basic flapjacks you'll need 100g soft brown sugar, 200g butter and three tablespoons of golden syrup.
- Heat gently until smooth and syrupy.
- Pour the hot syrup mixture onto 300g oats and stir really thoroughly to make sure the oats are fully coated.
- Tip the mixture into a deep sided 20cmx20cm tin lined with baking parchment, which has been greased with butter. Bake at 150C/130 fan/gas 2 for 40-45mins.
- Leave the flapjack to cool in the tin for five minutes before scoring and cutting into squares or triangles.
- You can vary the basic flapjack recipe in many ways, for example instead of using all butter you can use a mixture of butter and peanut butter, or use grated apple in place of some of the sugar as in our feelgood flapjack recipe.
- Flapjacks are really versatile so you can flavour them as you like why not try our flapjacks with ginger icing.Tip: The formula for basic flapjacks is really easy to remember if you think 1,2,3 (100g soft brown sugar, 200g butter, 300g oats and three tablespoons golden syrup.
Get more inspiration and flavouring ideas from our flapjack recipes.
Comments, questions and tips