How to de-seed tomatoes
Try our app for ad-free recipe inspiration – download now
How to skin and de-seed a tomato.
Points to remember
- Score a cross in the skin of the base of a tomato. Place in a bowl.
- Boil a kettle and pour the hot water over the tomato.
- Leave for a few secs until the skin near the cross starts to curl.
- Place in cold water, then peel off the skin.
- To deseed, cut through the centre of the tomato then cut into quarters.
- Use a small knife and cut through the flesh at the top and pull out the seeds, or a teaspoon and scoop the seeds out.
Don't leave the tomato in the hot water for too long - it will start to cook the flesh and make the texture feel furry.
If the skin won't peel off, dip back in the hot water for a few seconds and try again.
Comments, questions and tips