How to make macaroni cheese
Magazine subscription – choose a brand-new cookbook when you subscribe
Make our best ever macaroni cheese for an indulgent midweek meal. Add pieces of baked baguette for the perfect contrast between creamy pasta and crunchy topping.
How to make the best mac 'n' cheese:
- Add 350g macaroni or pasta spirals to boiling water. Cook for approx 8 mins.
- Break 50g baguette into small pieces. Place on a baking tray and drizzle with 1 tbsp melted butter. Season.
- Bake at 200C/fan 180C/gas 6 for 6 mins.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a pan. Add 1 finely chopped garlic clove and 1 tsp English mustard powder. Cook for 1 min more.
- Stir in 3 tbsp plain flour. Gradually add 500ml full-fat milk. Whisk continuously until thick. Take off the heat.
- Add 250g grated mature cheddar and 25g grated parmesan. Add the cooked pasta, season well and mix together.
- Tip into an oven dish and top with the baked baguette. Top with another 25g grated parmesan.
- Bake at 200C/fan 180C/gas 6 for 20 mins. Serve and enjoy.
See the full recipe for our best ever macaroni cheese.