How to make the cake:
- Whisk 50ml milk with 100g natural yogurt and 6 eggs.
- Beat together 450g butter with 450g golden caster sugar in a large bowl.
- Add the egg mixture, 450g self-raising flour and the zest of 1 lemon. Mix again until smooth.
- Line and grease 3 x 20cm cake tins. Divide the mixture between the tins and bake at 160C/140C fan/gas 3 for 40 mins.
- Mix 3 tbsp elderflower cordial with the juice of 1 lemon.
- When the cakes are cooked, pierce them all over with a cocktail stick and drizzle generously with the lemon and elderflower syrup.
How to make the icing:
- Beat together 250g unsalted butter and 350g icing sugar.
- Add 300g full-fat cream cheese, another 350g icing sugar and the zest of 1 lemon. Whisk until smooth.
How to decorate:
- Stack the cakes on a cake stand and layer with plenty of icing, smoothing down with a palette knife.
- Put the remaining icing on top and smooth down and over the sides, covering the cake in swirls.
- Decorate with roses and edible flowers.
See the full recipe for lemon & elderflower celebration cake.
Baking for a special occasion? Check out these recipes next:
What’s your favourite cake for a celebration? Leave a comment below…