Easy Steak and Chips
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
Easy steak recipe using top quality British beef served with homemade chips, asparagus and peppercorn sauce.
- 2 large Hereford Beef sirloin steaks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10-12 spears asparagus
- 2 large waxy potatoes
- A knob of butter
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- A glug of brandy
- 2 heaped tablespoons of goose fat
- Ground salt and pepper to season
- STEP 1Start your Valentines treat for two by preparing your chips. Preheat your oven to 220°C/425°F/gas 7 and place your goose fat into a baking tray, allowing it to melt while your oven heats.
- STEP 2Chop your potatoes into chunky chips and then place on the tray of what should be now melted goose fat.
- STEP 3Add a dash of salt for 1 hour and intermittently turn in the oil throughout this time (turn the heat down if they’re getting too crispy too quickly).
- STEP 4Take a griddle pan and put on a high heat adding a tablespoon of olive oil, once the pan is hot add your asparagus spears and sear 1-2 minutes on each side. Once nicely charred add to a tray on the lower shelf of your oven for the last 5-10 minutes of your chips cooking time.
- STEP 5Using the same pan put your salt and pepper seasoned Hereford Beef sirloin steaks in on a high heat. Cooking times for your steaks depend on how you like it (2-5 minutes for medium).
- STEP 6Whilst your steaks rest make your peppercorn sauce by adding butter to a pan on a high heat. Once melted add a generous glug of brandy and boil for 3 minutes.
- STEP 7Add the juices from your griddle pan and crushed peppercorns allowing the liquid to further simmer for 2 minutes before adding your cream and allowing to thicken for a few minutes on a low heat.
- STEP 8Serve your steaks, chunky chips, asparagus and peppercorn sauce with salt and pepper to taste.