Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Plus 4-24 hours marinading time
- More effort
- Serves 2
A zingy, tender rib recipe that will make the most of a cheap cut of meat.
- 150ml-300ml Pineapple juice (depends on the depth of your pan)
- 100g sugar
- 100g honey
- 50ml Soy sauce
- 30mm "thumb" of ginger, grated or finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- (optional) 2 finger chilies, finely chopped.
- (optional) 2 tsb of smokey chipotle paste
- Approx 700g pork ribs, split.
- 227g Tin of pineapple pieces in ther own juice.
- STEP 1Marinade:
- STEP 2Combine the honey, sugar, soy, ginger, garlic, chilies and chipotle paste (if used)
- STEP 3Place in a microwaveable container and heat for 60 seconds (800w microwave)
- STEP 4Split the ribs (if not already done) and coat them in the sticky sauce. Place in a large, ovenproof dish, if possible leave a space between each rib. Tip the pineapple chunks on top and add the juice from the can, then add more pineapple juice until the ribs are at least halfway submerged - the amount required will depend on the size of your ribs and pan.
- STEP 5Leave to marinade in a refrigerator for at least 4 hours, ideally 24 hours, and turn once or twice in the time you have.
- STEP 6Pre-heat oven to 160C.
- STEP 7Drain the marinade off the ribs and reserve - as this has been in contact with raw pork, it is not safe until cooked.
- STEP 8Make sure the ribs are spaced evenly and cook for 90 minutes, covered with foil. Turn once about two thirds of the way through the cooking process.
- STEP 9After 90 minutes, remove the foil and increase the oven temperature to 220C. Turn the ribs at the same time. Cook for a further 20/30 minutes. If you have time, once the ribs have blackened on one side, turn the ribs again.
- STEP 10In the meantime, take the reserved marinade and put it in a saucepan (ideally a wide, non-stick one) over a medium heat. Stir vigourously on the heat until the sauce thickens. It should get sticky but no thicker than warm runny honey. If in doubt, add more pineapple juice and use a thinner sauce.
- STEP 11To serve, place the ribs on white rice and drizzle the sauce liberally over them.