Lemon and Yoghurt Crumble Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- More effort
- Makes Slices
Very lemony and not nearly so complicated as it sounds. My family love this
FOR THE CRUMBLE
- 115g granulated sugar
- 25g plain flour
- Finely grated rind 1 lemon
- 40g butter cut into pieces
FOR THE CAKE
- 225g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 25g candied lemon peel finely chopped
- 115g unsalted butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 225g natural yoghurt or buttermilk
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- Finjely grated rind 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- STEP 1Preheat oven to 180C/fan oven 170C/Gas 4.
- STEP 2Grease and line a 23cmX13cm loaf tin
- STEP 3To make the crumble put the sugar flour and lemon rind into a bowl and rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Set aside
- STEP 4Make the cake. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl. Stir in the candied lemon peel and make a well in the centre.
- STEP 5Put the butter in a pan and set over a low heat until melted, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and whisk in the sugar, yoghurt, eggs, lemon rind and vanilla. Pour into the well and stir with a fork until just blended.
- STEP 6Spoon half the cake mixture into the prepared tin, pushing it into the corners and smooth over the top. Sprinkle over half the crumble. Drop spoonsful of the remaining cake mix over the crumble spreading it evenly. Sprinkle with the remaining crumble.
- STEP 7Bake for 1 hour until the cake is well risen and golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- STEP 8Put the tin on a wire rack and cool for 30 minutes before turning out.