Meringue topped brownie cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- plus 15 mins cooling
- Serves 12
Two scrumptious desserts combined in one decadent cake that will really steal the show. I sometimes leave out hazelnuts and jam to make it more traditional.
- 125g butter
- 125g plain cooking chocolate, chopped
- 125g plain flour
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 150g light soft brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, plus 2 egg whites
- 100ml soured cream
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp chopped hazelnuts
- 4 tbsp plum jam
- 150ml double cream, whipped
- cocoa powder, for dusting
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to gas 3, 160°C, 140°C fan. Grease and line 2 x 20cm (8in) loose- bottomed sandwich tins. In a pan, gently melt the butter and chocolate. Set aside to cool.
- STEP 2In a bowl, combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and brown sugar. In a separate bowl, beat the whole eggs and soured cream. Add to the flour, along with the cooled chocolate. Stir until smooth. Divide between the tins.
- STEP 3In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks. Gradually whisk in the caster sugar, until thick. Fold in 1 tbsp of the nuts.
- STEP 4Spoon the meringue onto one of the brownies, leaving a 3cm (1 1/4in) border. Scatter over the remaining nuts. Bake the plain brownie for 30 minutes and the meringue-topped one for 40 minutes. Leave to cool.
- STEP 5Spread the plain brownie with jam and top with the whipped cream. Sandwich the brownies and dust with cocoa powder.