Bangladeshi vegetable bhuna
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Impress your loved ones with this mouthwatering, authentic vegetable bhuna.
- 1 courgette, thickly sliced
- 1 small butternut squash, cut into large cube
- 1 brown onion, chopped finely
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into big cubes
- 1/2 head of cauliflower (medium), cut into small florets
- 1 aubergine, cut into big chunks
- 3/4 tsp of panch phoron, ground
- 1.5 tsp of turmeric
- 1.5 tsp of chilli powder (less if you don't want it spicy)
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic puree
- 4-5 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 3 green chillies, sliced in half lengthwise
- Salt to taste
- STEP 1Fry the onions in the vegetable oil until browned.
- STEP 2Add the garlic-ginger puree along with all the other spices. Cook for a minute, stirring frequently and ensuring the spices don't burn.
- STEP 3Add 1/2 a cup of water and allow the spices to cook. Once the water has reduced and the oil has risen to the top, add the butternut squash, potatoes and salt along with another 1/2 cup of water.
- STEP 4Once the potatoes and butternut squash are cooked slightly, add the rest of the vegetables. Add more water if needed. Remember, the final product should be a bhuna so there should be hardly any water left over.
- STEP 5Once the vegetables are almost cooked, add the coriander, chillies and check the salt. Cook until oil has risen to the top and the vegetables are cooked completely and water has almost dried.
- STEP 6Serve with warm chapatis or boiled rice.