Mums proper Toad in the Hole
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
An easy, filling and tasty proper Toad-in-the-hole, the way it should be.
- 8 fat pork or beef sausages (frozen or fresh)
For the Yorkshire pudding batter
- 113g / 4oz plain flour
- 1 medium egg
- 250ml / 8 floz semi-skimmed milk
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 180c fan, 200c, gas 6
- STEP 2Place the sausages (fresh or frozen) in a medium roasting tin or roasting dish (Mine measures 12"x7") and cook in the oven for 10-15 mins until lightly browned and the oil is starting to come out of sausages
- STEP 3While the sausages are in the oven, prepare the batter.
- STEP 4Put the flour in to a medium bowl (I don't bother sifting), make a well in the centre using the unbroken egg then crack the egg into it. Add a little of the milk and start to whisk the egg/milk into the flour. Add the milk in bit by bit. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk to ensure no lumps.
- STEP 5Leave to one side.
- STEP 6After 10-15 mins take the sausages out of the oven, shut the oven door to keep the heat in and quickly pour the batter evenly over the sausages then put straight back in the oven for another 35-45 mins. (Do not open the oven door during this time) When done the Yorkshire will be risen and deep golden all over. (if the pudding starts to brown too quickly during cooking, turn down to 150 degs and leave 5 mins longer)
- STEP 7Serve cut into portions with mashed or new potatoes, veg and gravy.