Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Beef with a Stilton Souffle
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- A challenge
- Serves 2
A dish that never fails to impress judges.
For the fillet steak;
- 100g Beef fillet Steak,
- Salt and pepper to taste,
For the souffle;
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter or margarine,
- 2 eggs, separated,
- 100g asparagus,
- 20g Cornflour,
- 100ml milk,
- 75g stilton cheese,
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese,
- 1 Bayleaf,
For the sauce;
- 2 tbsp dry white wine,
- 25g stilton,
- 2 tbsp double cream,
- You will also need two small ramekins.
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C Gas Mark 5. Coat the ramekins with the butter and sprinkle over parmesan to coat all sides well.
- STEP 2Mix the cornflour with 20ml of the milk to form a roux, or paste. Heat the remaining milk until near boiling then add the roux, stirring constantly. Return to the pan, add a bayleaf and continue to stir until a smooth consistency is reached. Avoid any lumps at all cost.
- STEP 3Pour the sauce into a large bowl and beat in the egg yolks one at a time. Add the stilton and stir until it melts. Season to taste. Boil the asparagus then blend two thirds (Or thereabouts) of it and add to the mixture. Pour all of this into a food processor and blend until all lumps are removed.
- STEP 4Whisk the egg whites in a spotlessly clean bowl until stiff peaks form, whisk a third of these into the mixture to lighten it then gently fold in the rest.
- STEP 5Spoon the mixture into ramekins and sprinkle again with the grated parmesan. Bake in the middle of the oven for 35 minutes.
- STEP 6With ten minutes left until the souffles are ready, brush the steaks with oil and season well with salt and pepper. Cook them in a hot pan however you wish, about 4 minutes either side for medium rare-rare. Plate up once this is cooked, also halve the remaining asparagus and plate up to serve. Finally, melt all of the ingredients for the sauce together and add to plate. Add souffles as soon as they are cooked and golden and serve immediately.