Breadcrumbed rump steak
Member recipe by tweety_anja
with honey mustard sauce and stir-fried sprouts. A receipe for the whole family.
- 4 Beef rump steaks/ or pork loins
- 75g plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 150g breadcrumbs
- 200ml vegetable oil
- 50g unsalted butter
- 200ml double cream
- 1 tbsp English mustard
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- sea salt and black pepper
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- To serve:
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 200g sprouts, trimmed and shredded
- 100g smoked back bacon
- Take your steaks out of the fridge and let them gradually come up to room temperature. Cover them in a double layer of cling film, place on a chopping board and use a meat mallet or rolling pin to bash the meat nice and thin (escalope style, approx 5mm thick) and set aside. The cling film prevents you obliterating the meat altogether.
- Tip the flour into a bowl, season with salt and pepper and mix together. Set up a bowl with the egg and another with the breadcrumbs. Dip each steak into the seasoned flour, followed by the beaten egg and finally the breadcrumbs, gently shaking off after each dip.
- Put the oven on its lowest heat. Meanwhile, place a large frying pan onto the hob and heat on a medium to high heat, then add the vegetable oil. When it's the right temperature you should feel a strong ambient heat when you hold your hand 10cm over the pan. Place 1 or 2 steaks in the pan depending on size. The pan should sizzle happily, not spit madly. Shallow fry the coated steaks for approx 2 minutes each side until the breadcrumbs are lovely and golden. Set aside on a warm plate covered with a kitchen towel and place in the oven to keep warm.
- Meanwhile add the cream, mustard, honey, salt, pepper and lemon juice to a small saucepan and boil down until the sauce is lovely and thick.
- For the sprouts, heat a frying pan or wok on a high heat, add a splash of olive oil and stir-fry the chopped bacon. Add the shredded sprouts and stir-fry hot and fast for approx 2 minutes. If they are too dry, add 1 tbsp of water whilst you are cooking.
- Serve the steaks on warmed plates with the creamy mustard sauce poured around the meat and sprouts on the side.