Member recipe by themadcoder
- 225g Plain Flour
- 55g Lard
- 55g block margarine
- water to mix
- 450g Sausage meat
- 225g Streaky bacon (chopped into small pieces)
- 4-6 eggs
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6. Make the pastry by rubbing the fat into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. Mix with enough water to make a stiff dough.
- Roll out two thirds of the the pastry and cover an eight inch deep pie dish.
- Prick the bottom and sides to allow steam to escape. Cover the bottom with graseproof paper and add dry rice or baking beans until the bottom is covered to a depth of an inch. Bake blind for about 15 mins. When firm remove the greaseproof paper and discard.
- Put sausagemeat in the bottom of the pastry case and smooth down. Scatter the chopped bacon on top making sure that the sausagemeat is entirely covered. Break the eggs over the top until almost to the top of the pastry case.
- Roll out second piece of pastry and cover the pie. Make sure that it is well sealed around the edges, Make 4 or 5 small slits in the centre of the top to let the steam escape. Brush with beaten egg
- Cook in the oven for 15 mins. Turn the oven down to gas 4 and cook for a further 45 mins. Serve hot or cold