Member recipe by terry75
ServingsServes 1 - 6 Jars
A delicious herb jelly which is a perfect accompaniment to roast lamp and pork dishes.
- 2.3 Kg Cooking apples (5Lb)
- 1.1 Litres Water (2 Pints)
- 4-5 Large sprigs fresh Rosemary
- 6-8 Tablespoons chopped fresh Rosemary
- 1.1 Litres Distilled malt vinegar (2 Pints)
- Granulated sugar
- Roughly chop the apples without peeling or coring and place in a preserving pan with the water and rosemary.
- Gently simmer over a low heat for 45 minutes stiring occasionally until the fruit is soft and pulpy.
- Add the vinegar and boil for a further 5 minutes.
- Spoon out the mix into a jelly bag suspended over a large bowl and leave for at least 12 hours allowing all the juices to drain from the pulp. Don't be tempted to squeeze the pulp to get more juice as this will make the finished jelly cloudy.
- Throw away the remaining pulp in the jelly bag. Measure the amount of juice extract and return to the pan with 450g of Sugar for each 600ml (1 Pint)
- Stir over a gentle heat until all the sugar dissolved, then boil rapidly for about 10 minutes.
- Once setting point has been reached skim any foam from the surface, stir in the chopped Rosemary pot and cover into sterile jars.