Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 24 medium-sized meringues
Pretty pink Rose Meringues, floral-scented and sandwiched with whipped cream are the perfect sweet summer treat.
- 4 egg whites
- A pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons of rosewater
- A little pink food colouring (optional)
- 225 g caster sugar
- STEP 1Set the oven to 140 C/275F or Gas Mark 1.
- STEP 2Cover two baking sheets with baking parchment. Spread a very thin film of flavourless oil, such as rapeseed oil, on the baking parchment (the best way is to rub it over the parchment with your fingers and then remove the excess with a piece of kitchen towel).
- STEP 3Whisk the egg whites with the salt until they form soft peaks.
- STEP 4Add 2 tablespoons of the sugar, 2 teaspoons of rosewater and a little food colouring (if using) to the egg whites and whisk again until very stiff and shiny.
- STEP 5Fold in the rest of the sugar.
- STEP 6Spoon the mixture onto the baking parchment. You can make your meringues small, medium or large depending on the size spoon you use - teaspoon, dessert spoon or tablespoon.
- STEP 7Place the baking tray in the oven and bake until they are hard on the outside but still gooey in the middle. This will take between an hour and an hour and a half.
- STEP 8Remove from the oven and transfer to a baking rack. Allow to cool before sandwiching with whipped cream.