Rose Petal Chocolate Cake
Member recipe by sweetunique
de luxe chocolate cake that's brimful of sweet sherry and decorated with a pink petals
- * 125g butter, softened, plus extra
- * 250ml milk
- * 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- * 125g plain chocolate (50% cocoa solids), broken up
- * 350g self-raising flour, sifted
- * 15g cocoa, sifted
- * 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- * 250g golden caster sugar
- * 2 medium eggs, beaten
- * For filling and decoration
- * 4 tbsp sweet sherry or Marsala (optional)
- * 185g plain chocolate (50% cocoa solids), broken up
- * 100g butter, diced
- * 100ml double cream
- * 1 large pink rose, or homemade fondant petals to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 160C/fan140C/gas 3. Grease and base line a 20cm round, deep cake tin with baking paper. Put the milk in a jug and add the vinegar ÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂ it will curdle. Melt the chocolate in a large bowl set over a pan of simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the water. Stir until smooth.
- Add the butter and remaining cake ingredients plus the milk mixture to the melted chocolate. Beat until smooth, then tip into the tin. Bake for 1 1/4-1 1/2 hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- Using a bread knife, halve the cake horizontally. Sprinkle the cut sides with sherry or Marsala, if using.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a pan over a low heat. Stir until smooth, then remove from the heat. Cool for a few minutes, then beat in the cream. Set aside to thicken slightly.
- To decorate, use a quarter of the icing to sandwich the 2 cake halves together. Spread the remaining icing over the top and sides of the cake. Decorate with rose flower or fondant petals to serve.