Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Owl Celebration Cookie
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Plus one hour cooling
- More effort
- Serves 12
Giant cookie, ideal for children's birthdays
For the cookie:
- 225g unsalted butter (softened)
- 140g caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 220g plain flour
- 60g cocoa powder
- 85g of milk chocolate (roughly chopped)
- 85g of white chocolate (roughly chopped)
- 85g of dark chocolate (roughly chopped)
For the decoration:
- 500g icing sugar
- 160g unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 25ml milk
- chocolate buttons or miniatures (I used Cadbury's Twirl Bites)
- 1 oreo cookie
- Yellow coated chocolate beans (I used M&Ms)
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 6 and line a round pizza baking tray with baking parchment.
- STEP 2Mix the butter and sugar in a bowl with a wooden spoon and add the egg and vanilla extract.
- STEP 3Sift in the flour and cocoa powder and mix. Add the chocolate and mixture until fully combined.
- STEP 4Spoon the mixture onto the baking tray and spread out to the sides so that it forms an even circle shape.
- STEP 5Bake in the oven for 25-30minutes or until the outer sides of the cookie have browned. Once cooked, set aside to cool.
- STEP 6Meanwhile make the frosting. Add the butter and icing sugar to a large mixing bowl. Using an electric beater, beat the butter and icing sugar on a low speed until combined.
- STEP 7Add the milk and vanilla extract and beat on a high speed for at least 5 minutes until the frosting is pale and light. Scrape any mixture from the sides of the bowl as you go using a rubber spatula.
- STEP 8Once the cookie is cooled, spread the frosting into an owl shape on the cookie (as shown on the picture)
- STEP 9Cut the oreo in half, taking care that the white filling is even on both sides. Stick this to the face of the owl shape, dark side down. Dab a small amount of frosting onto two chocolate buttons and place them on the while surface of the oreos to form pupils.
- STEP 10Create a beak with the yellow chocolate beans. Decorate the face with eyebrows using halved chocolate buttons. Decorate the wings with chocolate buttons and other mini chocolates to give the effect of feathers. Add any additional decorations you like!