Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- More effort
- Makes Biscuits
This easy recipe for gingerbread men is great for baking with children.
350g/12oz plain flour, plus extra for rolling out
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 125g/4ÃÂ½oz butter
- 175g/6oz light soft brown sugar
- 1 free-range egg
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- writing icing
- cake decorations
- STEP 1Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon and pour into the bowl of a food processor. Add the butter and blend until the mix looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
- STEP 2Lightly beat the egg and golden syrup together, add to the food processor and pulse until the mixture clumps together. Tip the dough out, knead briefly until smooth, wrap in clingfim and leave to chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- STEP 3Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- STEP 4Roll the dough out to a 0.5cm/ÃÂ¼in thickness on a lightly floured surface. Using cutters, cut out the gingerbread men shapes and place on the baking tray, leaving a gap between them.
- STEP 5Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly golden-brown. Leave on the tray for 10 minutes and then move to a wire rack to finish cooling. When cooled decorate with the writing icing and cake decorations.