Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Moist Carrot Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 10
A great recipe for a mouth watering, moist carrot cake. Originally adapted from a parsnip cake recipe. Contains no eggs or dairy.
- 250g Wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground nutmeg
- 130g Margarine
- 130g Light brown sugar
- 250g Carrots, grated
- 1 Medium banana, mashed
- 1 Orange, rind finely grated and juiced
<b>For the topping </b><i>(optional)</i>
- 225g Vegan cream cheese
- 3 tbsp Icing sugar
- 1 Small orange, juiced
- Fine Strips of orange peel
- A light dusting of Icing sugar
- W/Soya custard or cream
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Lightly grease a 2lb loaf tin or tin of choice.
- STEP 2Sift the flour, baking powder and spices into a large bowl.
- STEP 3Melt the margarine in a pan, add the sugar and stir until dissolved.
- STEP 4Make a well in the flour mixture, then add the margarine and sugar. Mix in the parsnips, banana and orange rind and juice.
- STEP 5Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and level the top with the back of a spoon.
- STEP 6Bake for 45-50 minutes until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. allow to cool before removing from the tin.
- STEP 7(optional) For the topping beat together the cream cheese, icing sugar, orange juice and strips of orange peel, until smooth. Spread the topping evenly over the cake.