Blackberry and Apple Jam
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 2 small jars of Jam
This classic flavour combination is a fantastic way to use the abundance of blackberries we often pick in August and September, its sweet and goes great with toast. You can leave out the apples because this recipe can be adapted for just blackberry jam. This recipe makes enough jam for two small jars.
- 500g Blackberries (freshly picked are always best)
- 500g White sugar
- 1 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 large cooking apples
- STEP 1Prepare your jam jars, they must be sterlized as to prevent mould developing on the jam, the easiest way to do this is washing the jars with soapy warm water then placing them in a microwave for 45-60 seconds or until dry, you then can sterlize the lids by sumberging them in boiling water for 5 minutes.
- STEP 2Now add chopped cooking apples, blackberries and the lemon juice into a large pan over a low-medium heat. Let this mixture become juicy, simmering for 15 minutes. stiring occasionally.
- STEP 3After 15 mintues stir in the sugar, when the sugar is dissolved turn up the heat to medium-high and boil for 10-15 minutes until set. To ensure jam is set, you can put a little round blob of jam onto two cold plates and then push the jam from the side, if it wrinkles the jam is set.
- STEP 4Leave the jam in the pan for 10 minutes, then spoon into your jam jars, and place the lids on immediately.