Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Caramel Popcorn Ice Cream.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- 3-4 hours zooling and churning
- More effort
- Makes Litre
Delicious but healthy.
- 750 ml Jersey Full Fat milk
- 3 eggs
- 50g Toffee Popcorn
- 100g sugar
- 25g unsalted butter+ pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 hp tsp cornflour
- 1/2 tsp instant coffee.
- STEP 1Bring the milk to a boil with most of the popcorn( save a couple of handfuls). Add the instant coffee and vanilla. Turn off the heat and let the milk cool. Strain, then keep milk warm.
- STEP 2In a silver based pan, add sugar with a tbsp of water. Turn up the heat to high. Cook until you can smell the caramel aroma and see the dark colour, add the butter and swirl the pan.
- STEP 3In a jug put eggs and cornflour whisk until combined and fluffy. Add some of the warm milk. Then put this all back into the remainder of the milk and add the caramel. Whisk slowly until the caramel has dissolved and milk turned a nice butterscotch colour. Put the pan on a low heat. You now need to be very patient and stir with a wooden or plastic spoon. Keep stirring so that the eggs donÃ¢ÂÂt curdle. Keep heating for about 10mins, time it as it seems an age, and it should then all of a sudden become a beautiful thick custard consistency. Strain this into a jug/plastic container. It will catch any large pieces of egg, cornflour or caramel. Cover with clingfilm to prevent it forming a skin.
- STEP 4Then churn in an ice cream maker. Or do it the hard way and mix with a fork every hour once placed in a freezer(about 4x). Then once the ice cream is set, add the remaining popcorn to add a bit of texture to the finished dish.