- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Makes 12 scones
My mother and I spent a week trying different scone recipes and this is the one we came up with. It was a Frankenstein of bits and pieces of the recipes we tried--we wrote it on a card and it's the only scone recipe I use now.
- 450 grams all-purpose flour
- 46 grams sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 75 grams butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 115 mL cream, plus a little more to brush the tops
- STEP 1Preheat oven to 190, 170 fan, Gas Mark 5.
- STEP 2Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut butter into mixture with a pastry cutter.
- STEP 3Whisk together cream, egg, and vanilla. Add this mixture to the flour mixture. Stir just until combined, being careful not to over-mix.
- STEP 4Transfer to a lightly-floured surface and knead the dough gently 4 to 5 times and then pat into a 15 cm round. Use an upside-down glass to cut the dough into rounds. Spread these onto a cooking sheet, about 5 cm apart. Brush the tops with a little cream.
- STEP 5Bake for about 15-18 minutes until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack then serve immediately or freeze.