Vegetarian Stuffed Zuchinni
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- More effort
- Serves 4
Italian Zuchinni stuffed with Aubergine and Tomato Risotto
- 1 or 2 large zuchinni's
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed or sliced
- 150g risotto rice
- approx 1 pint of water, freshly boiled
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small aubergine, halved lengthways and sliced
- 5 or 6 roma tomatoes, diced
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary and thyme
- 20g pine nuts
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- STEP 2Cut a lid of a large zucchini and scoop out the centre using a knife and spoon. Roast the zuchinni in the oven for 10 mins.
- STEP 3In a saucepan, fry the garlic in the oil, add the risotto rice and continue frying gently for 3 minutes.
- STEP 4Add the boiling water to the risotto rice, covering the rice by 2 cms and then turn to a low heat and leave for 12 minutes, ensuring that the rice is always covered by water and that after 12 minutes, all of the water has been absorbed. Then take off the heat and leave at the side to stand.
- STEP 5Meanwhile, saute 1 small chopped onion with oil. Add the sliced aubergine and gently cook for 1-2 minutes until the onions become golden, then add the chopped tomatoes and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
- STEP 6Add the fresh herbs, the pine nuts and season well with salt and pepper.
- STEP 7Combine the tomato and aubergine mix with the risotto rice to form the preparation.
- STEP 8Gently salt and oil the roasted zucchini insides and then fill generously with the preparation, finally place the zuchinni lids back on.
- STEP 9Bake at 200 degrees for 30 minutes, removing the lids in the last 10 minutes (discard, eat or use on the dish as desired). Sprinkle the tops of the stuffed zuchinnis with lots of freshly grated parmesan and place back in the oven for the remaining cooking time.
- STEP 10Serve with fresh green salad and a crisp white wine such as an Italian Verdicchio di castelli Jesi