onion bhajis (pakoras)
Member recipe by shafiqkhan
This is a very popular Pakistani snack, tastes fab with a yoghurt sauce and a cuppa :)
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1 bunch asian spinach (or buy 500g fresh baby spinach from supermarket if you can't get hold of this)....wash and chop roughly
- 1/4 bunch fresh coriander....wash and chop finely
- 1 crushed green chilli
- 2 medium onions ,peeled and finely sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 cup gram flour
- Vegetable/ corn oil for frying
- Combine all the ingredients, add splash of water and mix well...mix should be of medium consistency...You may need to add more gram flour...don't add too much though as bhajis become very dense.
- Heat oil in pan and spoon in level tbsp into oil...cook until golden brown.
- If mix is too thin, it will separate into small pieces...if it is too thick or if oil is too hot, the bhajis will be raw in middle.
- Serve with mint and cucumber yoghurt