Slow Cooked Pork Steaks
Member recipe by sammyvz88
Great tasting meal for family and friends that wont cost the earth.
- For the Slow Cooker
- 4 Pork Shoulder Steaks
- 2 Large White Onions
- 2 Cloves Garlic - Peeled and Crushed
- 500ml Chicken Stock
- 500ml Vegetable Stock
- 1 Bramley Apple peeled, de-seeded and cored
- Salt and Pepper
- For thickening the sauce
- 1 tbsp Corn Flour
- 2 tsp Chilli Powder
- Salt & Pepper
- Apple Sauce
- 4 x Granny Smith Apples
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 125ml Cold Water
- Cinnamon Stick
- 300g Plain Rice or other to your preference
- Preheat your slow cooker by turning it on its low setting - leave the lid on.
- Cut your pork shoulder steaks into 2.5cm pieces and season generously with salt and pepper, finely chop your onions and crush your garlic, peel and deseed your apple. Set aside.
- Make your 500ml of Chicken stock and 500ml of Vegetable stock.
- In your slow cooker, put the shoulder steaks in first, followed by your chopped onions and garlic, finished by your apple. Pour in the Chicken Stock and Vegetable stock. Put the lid on and leave on a low setting for 8 hours. Go to work, go shopping or simply put your feet up at this point.
- Seperate the liquid from the solids in the slow cooker using a sieve or collinder ensuring you capture all of the liquid in a large sauce pan. Put the solids back in the slow cooker and leave the lid on with it on a low setting.
- Turn your gas hob on medium and bring the liquid to the boil, reduce this to a simmer. Meanwhile using a small amount of the liquid in a seperate bowl mix with 1tbsp on corn flour to make a paste, put this paste in the saucepan and stir. Reduce by half. If the sauce needs to thicken more to your liking make more paste. Add the Chilli Powder salt and pepper to taste.
- For your apple sauce, peel and deseed the apples and cut into quaters or eighths. Add these to a sauce pan with a cinnamon stick and cup of cold water and bring to the boil slowly. When boiling the apples should break down, add the brown sugar and continue to cook for 5-10minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick and set the sauce aside.
- Put 300g of rice in a saucepan, cover with cold water until the water is 1cm above the line of the rice. Bring to the boil. Once boiled stir, add salt and pepper, reduce the heat to low and put a lid on. Leave for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve your lovely slow cooked pork on a bed of rice, drizzle over your reduced sauce to your liking and add a large dollop of home made apple sauce. Delicious.